BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Thursday, December 10, 2009

Wolf in Sheep's Clothing - Barry Obama

I remember watching Obama speak at the DNC a few years ago. I just happened to catch him just as he was REALLLY getting into his speech and forging, forever, his love affair with his teleprompter. And I remember being impressed. I thought, "Now this is someone who seems to have some passion. What a speaker! Wow! Check out those ears! What are we doing for dinner?" It was a fleeting moment of admiration for someone who could wax eloquent. I'm a speaker, I'm a writer, and I'm madly in love with words and those who know how to use just the right ones. I was impressed. And then I moved away from the moment and on about my day . . .

And here I am today, and this eloquent albeit heavily-dependent-on-devices-that-tell him-to-say-what-someone-else-wrote-for-him-to-say speaker is now our president. And even though I love words, I have a lot of trouble with the word "president" since a few months before the election. It's hard for me to say these days; I choke on it. To follow it up with "Obama" seems, I don't know, wrong somehow. I can tell you today that I have NOT said (out loud) "President O . . . . . Oh NO." Just can't do it.

Why is this hard for me? That's what you should be asking. Because I'll tell you:

I grew up in poverty. It was a miracle I did not succumb to teen pregnancy or serious drug and alcohol abuse, so I believe in the power of people lending a hand to those in need. BUT, when someone lent ME a hand, it was because I proved I was working hard. I proved I deserved it. And now that's how I feel about passing along this favor - reward the hard working. This man in office doesn't seem to believe in doing that. I don't need to prove that to you. If you sit and think intelligently for a while, you can see for yourself that he wants everyone to be equal regardless of how hard they work or what they have sacrificed to get ahead. Which brings me to point two:

My husband and I have paid off all our credit card debt - between 20 and 30K. Then we made better decisions about how we spent our money and where we chose to work. We're still on the path to financial freedom - owing only our home and one vehicle - and we have higher paying jobs, and in another year, we're going to be taxed out the wazoo because of it. We did a lot of sacrificing. We fought a lot. We said "no" a lot to fun times. And we're better for it - trust me. Here we are now, poised to truly live like no one else as Dave Ramsey says, due to our hard work and diligence, and Obama makes speeches about how taking care of your brother. Don't fault me for saying this - hear me instead - I'll take care of my brother alright. As long as I see him grinding his nose right along with me. My brother had better be working 40 hours a week like I am. My brother had better be following the law like I am. My brother had better be paying taxes like I am. And if my brother lost his job due to the financial crisis that was much more than 8 years in the making (for those of you who want to blame everything on Bush), then I want to see him working two or three jobs like I did at one time to make ends meet. I was pregnant, an assistant principal by day, and a college professor by night for a while there. And I was selling life insurance on the nights I was not teaching. My brother had better be working his happy arse off - just like I did and do.

OH, I hear you, too. What about the elderly, what about the infirm, what about the children? Glad you asked!

The elderly: I'm Hispanic, so I clearly believe families take care of family. If my grandmother or mother or father need me to care for them one day, I'll do it. That's just how it is. Additionally, I believe in Medicare. I know it's broken, but the concept is right. Care for the elderly. But I'm going to say something here - gonna put a bee in your bonnet for a bit. I have a problem with people who have lived off the government their whole lives just because they could. I was poor once, so I know it happens that way. And that goes for old people, too. I'm all for taking care of folks who need help, but if you're 70 and 50 years of government cheese has done its damage, I'm just not sorry that you have to wait in long lines for medical care. The majority of people have ample opportunities to get out of bad situations. It's just about doing it. I did it. I was an educator for 13 years, and I saw countless kids do it over the years.

The young: Medicaid aids the needy. And by needy, I mean, the young and the infirm. But I DON'T believe the needy means the children of illegal immigrants. No sir. I don't. There's a process for coming to this country. And yes, it sucks to be poor, and it sucks to be poor in Mexico, but Mexico has a responsibility to aid their needy, too. I was never poor in Mexico, but I was a poor Mexican American, and that's just a hop, skip, and a bean taco away.

What I don't get about the Obots is that they seem to have forgotten there have been government programs all along. And I especially don't understand the middle class Americans who have never stood in line for welfare or at a government funded clinic. If you've never walked this path, how can you so blindly do a double-dutch with the man who wants MORE of that?

The point is this - he talked pretty. And you fell for it. Or you talk pretty, too. Or you're just a mooch and that's all you ever will be, so the fact that he supports you is merciful validation. But he's not talking pretty anymore. He's sounding more like John Wayne now. "We're gonna round 'em up, and we're gonna put 'em in the corral." That's what Americans are being reduced to - cattle to be led.

Government run ANYTHING is problematic, but we have what we have, and many conservatives would agree that we need to focus on fixing what we have before we go off and create another system for people to learn to manipulate.

Obama said the other day "ya'll thinking for yourselves" of Democrats, and he said it proudly. And if you don't know why that's so scary to so many of us, then take your number, pretty sheep, and get into the appropriate line . . . you're going to be there for the rest of your lives.

0 comments: